Sunday, February 19, 2012

I GOT THE CONCH!


This was a thrift find mid-January, and I wasn't blogging yet,  but I really want to share this story with you...

First of all this is Twiggy... the 1960's Super Model known for her big eyes, long lashes and petite figure.

The many cute faces of Twiggy aka Lesley Lawson. It's easy to see why she was named "The Face of 1966" by the Daily Express.  http://www.twiggylawson.co.uk/biography.html

Now this is a Twiggy Retro Mannequin Head...






www.TwiggyDeluxe.com Picture1
 http://stcoji.exblog.jp/7842539/   Pictures 2,3,and 4

I have been stalking this Twiggy retro mannequin head online for sometime now trying to find where I could find her. I didn't even care if it was a reproduction. I don't even know if reproductions have ever been made  (Maybe someone in thrift world can enlighten me).

I can't remember how I first found out about this Twiggy Retro Mannequin Head. I just think she is too cute. She is a retro mannequin head from the 70's. From the limited available online info, she was made in France for boutique owners to display their wigs or hats. Anyways, few and far between I have seen this French Vintage Mannequin Head on Ebay or on online shops in the UK, but it usually runs in the 200-250 range, once sold- (too rich for my blood).

But then one day...
Of course,  a find like this always comes with a story.

I checked out this estate sale advertised on-line, and saw in a picture, what looked like the Twiggy head! I scratched my eyes and it was still in that pic carelessly sitting on a bunch of boxes. It was Tuesday and the sale started Friday so I think I studied that pic multiple times a day to figure out the path I would take to get to that room. In preparation, I imagined myself entering the house and zipping down to that basement and snatching her before anyone else. If I could dream it ...it would be...

Twiggy is sooo cute- love her hair here.

Anyways, I did try to pre-buy it since I was working on the opening day of the sale.  But the owner of the estate company emailed me making it clear there were NO PRE-SALES. So I switched my work day with a coworker. Anyways... I got there at 8:30AM  for a 10AM start time to find I was number 17!  I stared at everyone in front of me, studying who might want the same thing.- Yes my mind went off the deep end for this- complete obsession.

So they let the first 20 in,  and eye on the prize,  I walked swiftly to the basement- I swear I think I had tunnel vision- I could only see this thing.  Got to the basement and IT WAS NO WHERE!!!  I remained calm on the outside but was really freakin' out... so I went back upstairs scanning as I walked but saw nothing. I calmly asked the estate company owner of its' whereabouts, and I could have screamed when she told me non-chalantly... "OH, I sold it to one of my employees this morning".... WHAT the F%@#!  (but I restrained myself from saying that). The only thing that came out of my mouth was, "Well that sucks!" I then said, "I was the one who emailed you and you said you couldn't pre-sell , so I came early to buy it, but you pre-sold it anyway?" She couldn't even look me in the eye and said, "well sorry". I know she can do whatever she wants, it is her company, but it didn't change how much that answer sucked.

I accepted what had happened because what could I really do- I did approach the worker who bought it and jokingly asked what she wanted for it,  but she wasn't very friendly or amused either and she barely looked at me and said, "its not for sale!" I am an extremely nice, actually overly nice person so I left it at that and decided to open my eyes to other finds... didn't see too much (I think I was blinded by my inner disappointment), I ended up finding a Snoopy glass, a flower brooch, and a Mother Mary statue (figured I could later pray for forgiveness for obsessing over an object so badly).

What do you think, any resemblance?



Anyways, I went to pay and couldn't keep it in and I told the owner, "I just want you to know I'm really bummed".  She threw up her hands and yelled, "I'm tired of this!" and told her employee that she would have to sell it to me. I was surprised she said that since I had accepted defeat, but hey I didn't argue. People around me were giggling- "hey, persistence pays". She sold it to me for a fair, but I know bubbled price, and I ran as fast as I could.


Did you know Twiggy just put out a music album November  2011? "Twiggy Romantically Yours"

I left the house and I could hear the on lookers from the line waiting outside, whispering, "hey she got that cool head!"

...that's right folks "I got the Conch" hahaha (humor me, its a famous line from the book "Lord of the Flies")

I was on a high for the rest of the day. It was meant to be.

FYI that night I got the nastiest email from the estate business owner saying she didn't appreciate the scene I made (as I recall she made the scene)..and that she is blacklisting me from her future sales. She further insulted me saying I lied that I had to work on the day of the sale.... It infuriated me so of course I responded,  saying she had no right to call me a liar- I was working but switched days off. I also told her that I thought what she ended up doing was fair,  but she should not treat a paying customer this way, and to not worry about seeing me at her sales because I have no plans of giving her another dime.

Left a bad taste, but I still like me Twiggy :) 
 
And after all that, the reselling person in me says, "Sell it, Sell it all!"  "turn a profit in your shop".  But the collector in me says, "Hoard all the good finds!"  Which side will win?  I guess only time and whimsy will tell.
So here are some pics of my Twiggy...

isn't she lovely...    try not to drool...


Thanks,
MessyMerci

- -
U

.
 

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yup really thinkin of keepin her especially since I've bought a few hats for her and me- hahaha

      Delete
  2. I am shocked she changed her mind. I'm going to keep my eyes out for one. I never knew about them and I've always loved Twiggy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'll be in search for her brown-eyed version! Good luck hunting :)

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I think it is bad form for companies that run estate sales to let their employees & friends get first dibs.

    Keep it, though I know that so often it is the thrill of the hunt that keeps us obsessed with these amazing vintage unicorns we seek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup for a minute there I thought getting a part-time job with an estate company might be a good idea (haha all I need is another job). And it really is the challenge that makes it all exciting.

      Delete
  4. I love a great story that goes with great finds, good for you! she's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you were within your rights to "demand" the gorgeous head. I'm glad you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep it, keep it, keep it! After all, the reselling is supposed to be a way of keeping the love of collecting alive. And if this isn't worth saving, what it?

    Great post.

    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said how you felt, and it paid off. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great that you spoke up. I usually sulk around and leave without speaking my piece, and then I feel like a rug for two days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't say anything only to go home imagining what I should have said... so this time was definitely an exception.

      Delete
  9. I can not believe she had the nerve to email you after the fact and ban you. What a whacko. But who cares, you've got your doll! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retrospect I just think its kind of funny how I got blacklisted. I'm 37 and the last time I remember getting booted out of somewhere was in my early 20's from a night club after getting over buzzed hahaha.

      Delete
  10. First time here, from ATG and love your story. You were in the right and that seller was rude, rude, rude. That said, I really hate Twiggy, since I was a young woman when she came out and I had a nice figure, with curves. I know it wasn't HER fault, but the media really did a number on my head and unfortunately, the Twig represents that bad karma to me. Just sayin', but after saying that, you keep her, you fought for her and won her...though, how much do you think she is worth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup I can see why u hated twiggy- I on the other hand am a petite shorty so I think anyone who is tiny and becomes a super model is kind a neat. Worth? She is plastic, but on Ebay last month the last bid was like $240 or something- so i guess its tempting to sell but today I'm in the keep her frame of mind ;)

      Delete
  11. FAB find! I was @ 12 when Twiggy was really popular, so of course my friends and I all wanted to BE her - Oh, I can remember that so well. I love Twiggy! Great story, too. I'm sorry that you were treated so rudely. You should definitely keep it! Especially since you've longed after it. But, if you ever decide to sell it, I'll queue up to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete